Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Insight into Shirley: Interview with Yvette Nicole Brown

Leave it to the guys at hitfix.com to nab a great interview with Yvette that dares to ask the question... what is Shirley doing when she is not at Greendale?

Check out some highlights here:

Is that tough, early on in the series, where Shirley is relatively normal compared to some other people? 
I think she appears to be relatively normal. I think we're going to find out that she's just as crazy as everyone else. And I mean, Pierce is as crazy as it gets, and there's varying degrees, but I think she's a little more towards the Pierce side than the Jeff side. 
How is it working with Chevy? 
Chevy is... fun. He is... interesting. He is full of stories about everyone and everything. He knows where all the bodies are buried. The thing I love most about him, if I had to pick something, is his relationship with his wife. He's been married 30 years. That's huge to me. Take Hollywood out of it; to make it 30 years is amazing. And his wife's a lovely woman. So my theory is anyone who married Chevy and stayed with him, he's got to be a cool dude. 
Do you think Shirley would ever be foolish enough to give into Pierce's charm? 
Never. Ne-ver. And the funny thing is, I never thought it was that Pierce likes Shirley. Pierce just likes women. And Shirley was the object of his fixation for a time, and now he's moved on. I don't think it will ever happen. 
So what does Shirley do? Obviously she has two sons to take care of, but what is she doing when she's not at Greendale? 
I'm trying to figure out how Shirley's at Greendale so much. Shirley's at Greendale from morning to night. Who has her babies? I think she bakes a lot. She makes brownies. I think she knits. I think she throws darts at her ex-husband. Literally; she doesn't have a picture, she follows him around and throws darts at him. And she's at church a lot, apparently. 
Mentioning brownies, I've found that ever since that episode, I find myself doing the "Give him a sandwich" move. 
Give him a sandwich! The Jack Nicholson move! Yeah. I loved the way they came up with that episode and what Shirley did, and Ioved the juxtaposition of Chang and his wife dancing and "Somewhere Out There" and Shirley overcoming her fear. I thought the editing of that episode, the writing and editing, was amazing. 
So if she doesn't give into Pierce, will Shirley find love at some point. 
I've said this so much that I think people are going to ask me to stop saying it, but I really want her to find love with Isaiah Mustafa, the Old Spice guy. I recently met him. I was saying it before I met him, but now that I met him, he and I really got along. I think he would be great. We're around the same age, we got a couple of pictures at Comic-Con, we looked cute together. I say do it. Why not? 
And for Shirley's ex-husband, I think Craig Robinson would be hilarious. The visual of me and him together would be very funny, and he looks like someone that Shirley would have married. He's her kind of guy, I think. 

Check out the full Article here:
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/interview-community-co-star-yvette-nicole-brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

NBC's Community